Version One 7th June 2013
Cauda Equina Syndrome Association (‘CESA’) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
- 1. General
We are registered in England and Wales and our registered address is at
1b Sunnyside Avenue,
We have notified the Information Commissioner’s Office that we process personal data (reference [insert z number]).
- 2. Information we may collect from you
When you visit our website and/or participate (including commenting on our blog posts) we may collect, process and store the following data about you:
- information you provide to us via our website, including the information obtained from your comments, forms you fill in on our website and/or information provided at the time of registering to use our services. To participate in particular areas of our website you will be required to register an account with us and some personal data is required of you. We will ask for your name and e-mail address;
- information that you provide to us in other correspondence, such as by email or in letters;
- details of your visits to our website, including the website that you visited us from and the website that you proceed to from our website; as well as how often you use our website and the types of discussions you participate or are interested in; and/or
- if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence e.g. we will keep a record of when you report a problem with our website or services.
We may also collect and process additional information about you and other persons from e-mails or other correspondence that you send to us.
- 3. IP addresses
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
- 4. How do we use your data?
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to use your information for market research in any field, including market, health, lifestyle, scientific, or technical research;
- to publish the results of our opinion polls on our website, to include statistical data from your participation such as your location and other opinion polls that you have participated in;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service;
- to provide you with advertising or marketing information, products or services which we feel may interest you;
- to ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to verify you are eligible to use our services;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to prevent, detect, and investigate potentially prohibited or illegal activities and enforce our Website Terms and Conditions;
- we may, with your consent, also use your data, or permit selected third parties to use your data, to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you and we or they may contact you;
- to enable us to comply with any legal or regulatory requirements; to protect or enforce our rights or the rights of any third party and for the purpose of safeguarding national security.
If you do not want us to use your data used in any of the above ways please contact us at:
1b Sunnyside Avenue,
We may not be able to continue providing our services to you if you do not agree to the way we use your data.
You may opt out of marketing contact at any time. Please let us know by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like us to change the method of communication you may contact us at the same address.
- 5. Viewing or changing the data we hold
You can view or change your account information in the registered user area on our website at any time and update it as necessary using your username and password. Once we are informed, we will adjust your data accordingly.
You can delete or deactivate your user account at any time. When you delete your membership your personal data is removed from our database unless we are required to save the data by law. It takes two to three business days until your information is completely removed from all records.
The Data Protection Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
- 6. Storage of information and security
The information you provide to us will be stored and processed on servers based within the United Kingdom but we reserve the right to store the data on carefully selected portable devices, in paper files, and to transfer data abroad.
- 7. Cookies
Our website uses "cookies", which are small, text files that are stored on your computer that can be retrieved to assist in customising your experience with the online service. The information saved supports the functionality of our website, for example by keeping track of your visual preferences or controlling the frequency of "pop-up" windows. It is necessary to accept cookies in order to use our service.
During some processes, data is temporarily stored on your internet browser as you move from step to step. This is only done in order to improve your experience of our website and is only stored for as long as is necessary for you to complete the process.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. Where you have given consent, we may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
If you want to find out more information about the the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them please contact us at email@example.com
You may block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) this may result in limited functionality and you may not be able to access all or parts of our website.
- 8. Security measures
The information in your registered user account and in your profile is password protected, so that only you have access to your personal information. Please note that you are not permitted to provide your password to anyone else.
We will never ask for your password in e-mails that you receive unexpectedly or that you did not request. Please remember to log out of your account and to close your Internet Browser when you leave our website; this is especially important if you use a PC in public locations. At present, this is the safest way to ensure that no one has access to your personal information. We assume no liability for the abuse of login data and passwords used.
- 10. Contact
All comments, queries and requests relating to our use of your information are welcomed and should be e-mailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.